Wednesday 22 September 2010

Even more things I've been enjoying recently

Listening to: (There are more things I have been listening to than anything else because I have been doing 'Market Research' for my Dad which involves quite a lot of staring blankly at the computer and typing. It's better with music.)

Antony and the Johnsons, specifically this song.


This song makes me want to produce a film, just so I can use this as the soundtrack for a really sad scene when someone quite important has just died and everyone around is doing that slo-mo "we're fucked without Gandalf" crying. I think it's their best song. It's certainly the only one I can listen to more than once in one sitting, the others tend to get a bit whiney.
By the way I haven't watched the video, but I expect it's really weird.

Siouxsie and the Banshees. I love Souxsie Sioux. She comes across as a bit of a douchenozzle in that Bill Grundy clip, but she was young then and I think we should forgive her. Aaah, I wish it was the 80s so I could be a goth. Not a lame goth, a proper one.
Here is a cover by them. I gather it was featured in a horror film because there's lots of comments on the video that say things like 'OMG THAT SHIT IS CREEPY !1!!!1' Probably Jeepers Creepers, for obvious reasons, but luckily I've never seen that. That would be another thing horror films had ruined for me, along with:

  • Being anywhere near a drain (It)
  • Showering (It)
  • Drinking cups of tea (It)
  • Being in a wood (Blair Witch Project)
  • Sleeping (Nightmare on Elm Street)
  • Lying in bed, not sleeping (The Grudge)
  • Being in a room with a blank television screen (The Ring)
  • Answering the phone (The Ring)
  • Not answering the phone (The Ring)
  • Everything (Final Destination)
Here is the video.


EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YAPPO (or whatever she says.)

Mumford and Sons, particularly this one.



Oh, this is so good. It also makes me want to produce a film, so I can use this to soundtrack a scene when someone is driving dramatically across a panoramic landscape in a race against time to save someone they love. But then they don't get there in time (the 'Aaaaah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah' bit). But then they realise that there is still hope (the second round of 'Aaah'ing).
Disclaimer: I made a huge mistake in listening to this, followed immediately by 'O Children' by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. NEVER DO THIS! IT IS TOO DEPRESSING FOR A HUMAN BEING TO HANDLE! It pretty much ruined my day. If you listen to this song, you should remedy it immediately with a very happy song. Tina Turner or something.

Yesayer. I saw these at Latitude this year, and thought they were so great I bought a tee shirt, which I don't do very often. Unfortunately it's a bit small because there was nowhere to try it on, but that's another story.
They are good, and BBC 6 Music is all over them at the moment. They're sort of Afro-Poppy, like Fool's Gold. There's probably a more technical term for what they are, but I don't know it.
Here is a song by them:



Reading: 
The Leaky Cauldron's Daily Quotedown to the Deathly Hallows Part 1 film. Pretty self-explanatory I suppose. Ron and Harry's big tiff is going to kill me a little inside. :-(.

Watching:
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. Go and see this! It's brilliant. I wasn't sure initially because lots of critics have given it bad/mediocre reviews. Ignore them, they're lame. Go and see it! It's really funny, and really cool. Especially if you're a twitcher like me. (I tend to get bored sitting still for a long time, and the fast pace helped to remedy this.) And there's a recurring joke with a hat, which I liked. It's very 'Canadian'. I can't really put my finger on what it was, but lots of the jokes reminded me of something a Canadian I used to live with would say. 


Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment